Ricardo dos Santos: Sprinter ‘not surprised’ to be stopped by London police for the second time



Ricardo dos Santos, a Portuguese sprinter, was pulled over early Sunday morning during a ride in the British capital. Dos Santos had previously been stopped and searched by the same police service in July 2020 along with his partner and child.

In a series of tweets, dos Santos released dashcam footage from his car of Sunday’s incident, showing the sprinter stopping and several police officers then approaching the vehicle.

In which tweetsdos Santos expressed his frustration.

“I’m not surprised I had to go through that again. Driving home last night 7 armed @metpoliceuk officers pulled me over thinking I was on my phone while driving. At their request, I stopped when it was safe to do so,” the thread began.

“After I stopped, two officers ran to either side of the car, a clenched fist banged on my window and tried to open the car door. Not knowing how to use a Tesla grip, out of frustration he pulled out his baton, ready to smash the glass. ‘ claimed dos Santos in his post.

“Annoying that nothing has changed after 2 years,” posted dos Santos.

The Metropolitan Police issued a statement that was released on Twitter, suggesting the 27-year-old failed to stop in time. The statement said: “We are aware of footage on social media showing part of a stop at a car.

“At approximately 4am on Sunday, August 14, armed officers were on a routine patrol inside a marked police vehicle. They saw a car going east… and worried the driver might be using a cell phone while driving.

“Officials clearly indicated that the car should stop, but it didn’t and they called for further help. The driver stopped about 5 minutes later… and officers spoke to him about why they wanted to stop the vehicle.

“We have since contacted the driver via Twitter, inviting him to get in touch with us if he wishes to further discuss the matter.”

Dos Santos responded to the police statement with another on Sunday tweetHe explained that he only showed part of the video because “the rest will be with my attorney.”
In another statement released on the Metropolitan Police Twitter On Monday, the service wrote that they “recorded this matter as a public complaint” and “transferred it to the IOPC (Independent Office for Police Conduct) in recognition of the public interest.”

CNN reached out to dos Santos officials for further comment and was told they would not make an official statement, but referred CNN to an interview it had conducted with the BBC.

“I put this video out because these things are very much going on…my intention was for people to actually see, discuss and understand that despite the police taking special action, nothing has changed or will change. ‘ he told the BBC’s 5Live.

Dos Santos and his partner, Team GB sprinter Bianca Williams, spoke to CNN senior sports analyst Darren Lewis in 2020 about their past encounter with the police.

After the couple, with their then three-month-old son, were stopped and searched in the car by police officers, the footage was widely viewed on social media.

Williams said in that interview that she needed to teach her son that “he can be stopped by the police because of the color of his skin.”

Five metropolitan police officers will face a gross misconduct hearing in July 2020 following an IOPC investigation.